Athletic Signings

December 13, 2017

In early November, Cedar Ridge celebrated ten student-athletes signing to play sports in college. Those athletes are Mason Donohoe, Nick Oslovar, Zach Thomas, Marilyn Nzoiwu, Dyani Wilson, Sean Prendeville, Cameron Brooks, Erika Richardson, Ayanna Williams, and Kylie Brown. They are all seniors.
The student-athletes will represent Cedar Ridge in six different sports at nine colleges. Eight of these schools are located in Texas.
These athletes have shown they have grit, determination, and persistence. It’s not easy to manage school and athletics at the same time, but these students excel at both.
“It’s all about how you manage your time,” Erika Richardson said. She committed to play softball at Campbell University in North Carolina.
The colleges had different ways of finding out about the student-athletes.
“I went to a camp and threw a bullpen session for them and they called me a couple days later and gave me an offer,” Nick Oslovar said. He committed to play baseball at the University of Texas-San Antonio.
“They came to one of my tournaments and then invited me to one of their camps,” Marilyn Nzoiwu said. She committed to play basketball at Houston Baptist University.
The student-athletes had many different reasons for picking their college of choice.
“I was able to get a full ride from the University of Texas, so I chose them,” Cameron Brooks said. She committed to play soccer at Texas. Brooks will graduate during the fall semester this year.
“ I was looking for a smaller, Division 1 school that felt more like home that wasn’t very big. I visited Campbell, and that was it,” Richardson said.
The students had many reasons to be excited for college.
“I’m excited to be in a new area with new people,” Brooks said. The competition is going to be very high and I really love competition.”
“I’m excited to meet new people and be able to travel and have fun while competing with the best in the world,” Oslovar said.
In addition, the athletes couldn’t say enough about the atmosphere of signing in front of Cedar Ridge students.
“It was fun, and it felt really great to be in front of people that cared enough to be there and be a part of that whole experience,” Richardson said.
“Signing in front of the younger students helped me show them that anything is possible, that sports is a definite possibility for them to get into college,” Brooks said. “I feel like I showed them hope that sports is something that can get them somewhere that they want to be.”
These students have spent countless hours training and practicing for this moment, but their journey is just getting started.