The Quill

Suicide Awareness

Camryn Priddy, Quill Staff Writer

In today’s society it is very easy to let the overwhelming responsibilities of life consume us. Whether it’s school, work, family issues, or personal issues. For some this can become a very big distraction to not only personal life, but mental health.
The overall suicide rate has rose by 24 percent from 1999 to 2014, according to the National Center for Health Statistics; this being 13 per 100,000 people. A large reason for this comes from depression which can deprive from numerous things such as alcoholism, terminal illnesses, substance abuse, financial difficulties, relationship problems, failure or bullying.
A story shared on Survivors of Suicide Loss from a girl who lost her father due to suicide in 2011, goes into depth on the many troubles that have entered her life since her father passed. Her father being a very loving and described as being rarely ever angry or upset her whole life until 2005 when he retired and something switched. “My father almost appeared to be lost, constantly searching for his purpose in life,” the girl said.
The girl goes on to talk about how she noticed changes in her father arising but wasn’t quite sure why. “Although he remained the fun loving man I grew up with, his overall demeanor began to change,” said the girl. Looking back she can see how the symptoms of depression were present in her father and thinks that is what led to him taking his life.
She states how she wished she could have known what her father was feeling and thinking at the time of his decision to take his life so she could be there for him. Although she was noticing these changes she was not fully aware of the internal feelings her father was going through.
Having to go through the pain of losing a loved one is a horrific and life changing occurrence. And many blame themselves for not noticing and helping their loved ones in their time of need. Which however is not always the case. With depression being a clinically diagnosed brain illness causes it to be harder than just a little bump in the road, but a life altering sickness. Being there for your loved ones and supporting them can help them cope with this. And possibly even help them overcome their depression.
With suicide being at an all-time high in the U.S, we as people need to come together and not only be friendly to one another but encourage each other. You never know what someone is going through and experiencing. It never hurts to be kind and caring towards people, and you might just save a life.

1 Comment

One Response to “Suicide Awareness”

1. Amy Feser on May 17th, 2018 7:50 am

Thank you for writing about this. I lost my brother to suicide on August 21, 2017. I too feel the same as the girl you speak of. I believe we must come together as a community to speak about these issue to help save a life, and next steps to keep speaking up. Those that are hurting need a safe place or person they can talk to. Keeping that door open will save lives. No judgement no condemnation- just kindness, care, and love.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Suicide Awareness

Features

Mental Health at Cedar Ridge

• Suicide Awareness

Features

College Greek Life

• Suicide Awareness

Features

The Health Benefits of Drinking Kombucha

• Suicide Awareness

Features

Library Lab Renovation

• Suicide Awareness

Features

Mu Alpha Theta

• Suicide Awareness

Features

The Impending Parking Problems at CR

• Features

The Truth About the RROC

• Features

Natural Hair

• Suicide Awareness

Features

AP Exams

• Features

Basic Guaranteed Income

The student news site of Cedar Ridge High School
Suicide Awareness