The Quill

Filed under Sports

Super Bowl 52

The Philadelphia Eagles shocked the world and the New England Patriots with a 41-33 win in Super Bowl 52 in Minneapolis, Minnesota for their first ever Super Bowl win.
The game could be described with one simple quote by the game’s broadcaster, Al Michaels.
“What tension. What emotion. What a game,” he said. “One of the greatest Super Bowls ever.”
Austin-native Nick Foles led the Eagles to victory by outdueling the ageless wonder Tom Brady, the Patriots 40-year-old quarterback.
Foles was 28 of 43 on passing and threw for 373 yards and 3 touchdowns. Foles hauled in a touchdown pass of his own from Eagles tight end Trey Burton on a trick play in the second quarter.
Brady went 28 of 48 for 505 yards and 3 touchdowns. Like Foles, Brady was also targeted once, but dropped the pass. Brady’s 505 yards are the most in any NFL postseason game.
LeGarrette Blount led the Eagles in rushing with 90 yards on 14 carries. He also scored a touchdown against his former team.
For the Pats, James White ran for 45 yards on 7 carries. With two minutes left in the second quarter, White scored a 26-yard touchdown.
Four Philadelphia receivers scored touchdowns, but there were none more important than Zach Ertz’ 11 yard touchdown reception with 2:22 left in the game.
Ertz juggled the pass, and the officials reviewed the play to make sure it was a touchdown. The pass was ruled a touchdown, giving the Eagles a 5 point lead.
After the game, Ertz said “If they would have overturned that, I don’t know what would have happened to the city of Philadelphia.”
Another one of the most important plays of the game, however, was Brandon Graham’s strip sack of Tom Brady with 2:16 left in the game.
That secured the game for the Eagles, who went on to win 41-33. The game proved to be one of the most entertaining Super Bowls in history.