The Quill

Volleyball at the Ridge

Lauren Prendeville spiking the ball on McNeil High!

Thomas L. Shands

Thomas L. Shands

Luke White

The volleyball season has arrived, and the Cedar Ridge volleyball team is ready for a memorable season. The team is led by captains Micayla Harris (12) and Cassie Cox (12) and is off to a 22-16 start.

The Raiders’ season began on August 7th, nearly two weeks before school started. The team got off to a fast start, as they started the season on a 7-game win streak. Now, the team has their eyes set on making playoffs.

“We’re looking to make playoffs and be one of the top three teams in the district,” Harris said.

District 13-6A is known as a powerful district for volleyball, featuring teams such as Westwood, Vandegrift, and Round Rock High School. Despite an impressive 2017 season in which they went 28-16 and reached the playoffs, the Raiders are looking for both team and individual improvement.

“We want to be a stronger team than last year,” Julianna Stock (12) said. “We also want to play as a team since it’s our senior year.”

The team is under new leadership this season, as Coach Macie Walker has replaced Kim Fuller, the Raiders’ coach since the school opened in 2010. Walker graduated from Hutto High School and played volleyball at Tarleton State.

“Getting into Cedar Ridge was wonderful, and I learned under Coach Fuller, who was really organized and an excellent coach,” Walker said in an interview with the Austin American-Statesman.

It has been made very clear  that the team enjoys the new Cedar Ridge volleyball program under Coach Walker.

“It’s a very supportive program now,” Jordan Valdez (12) said. “I feel like all teams have really interacted more with each other than we have in the past. We’re a lot closer than we were before.”

“We’ve become more focused on our skills. We’ve also spent a lot more time in the weight room improving our strength,” Harris said.

Each player has a special method of preparing for each game. The Raiders have their own way of getting ready before their games.

“We all go in the locker room to mentally prepare,” Morgan Goodloe (12) said. “We have a little dance party to get all our jitters out and relax.”

“I try to stay focused and make sure I have high energy during the game. As a captain, I hold my teammates accountable and always be the best player I can be for my team,” Harris said.

Each player devotes countless hours to volleyball, and they all have a special reason for as to why the sport is fun for them.

“I like the competition of volleyball and competing with others,” Valdez said. “I love getting to play with my friends, especially my fellow seniors, we’ve been together since 8th grade.”

“My teammates are all my best friends, so playing with them is super fun,” Harris said.

As the regular season comes to a close, the Raiders look to make a make a push to the playoffs and make a run in the playoffs, where they will give 100%.