The Quill

Cedar Ridge vs. Round Rock Football Recap

Jacoryan Isaac (11) rushes the ball against Round Rock on October 26th.

Thomas Shands

Thomas Shands

Luke White, Sports Editor

In a game billed as “Pandemonium on Parmer”, Cedar Ridge rode a 35-point first quarter en route to a 70-56 win over the Round Rock Dragons on October 26th at Kelly Reeves Athletic Complex. With the win, the Raiders secured a spot as second place in District 13-6A behind Vandegrift.

The quarterbacks of both teams were dueling in the offensive showdown. Cedar Ridge quarterback Jalen Brown (11) totaled 207 yards while throwing four touchdown passes. Round Rock QB Ryan O’Keefe (12) was dominant with both his arms and legs, throwing for 355 yards and five touchdowns and rushing for 199 yards and two touchdowns of 60 and 74 yards.

However, the story of the night was Cedar Ridge running back Chris “Deuce” Vaughn’s (11) sensational performance. Vaughn finished the night with four touchdowns and 406 rushing yards on 32 carries. Within the first three minutes, he had surpassed 150 yards. Vaughn’s four touchdowns came off 22, 68, and two 70 yard runs.

Cedar Ridge wide receiver Jaylen Ellis (12) scored three touchdowns and gathered 113 yards on five receptions while running back Jacoryan Isaac (11) rushed for two touchdowns. For Round Rock, wide receiver Collin Sullivan (11) caught two touchdown passes and totaled 168 yards. Tight end Garrett Miller (12), a Purdue commit, totaled 160 yards and scored two touchdowns, including a 99-yard pass.

The scoring began on Round Rock’s first offensive play from scrimmage when O’Keefe threw a 49-yard pass to Sullivan. Cedar Ridge responded with Deuce Vaughn’s 68-yard run up the right end of the field. On the next Dragon possession, Ryan O’Keefe scampered for a 60-yard rushing touchdown. The Raiders responded with a Brown to Ellis touchdown pass for 65 yards, tying the game at 14-14 with 9:35 remaining in the 1st quarter.

And the scoring didn’t stop there as O’Keefe rushed for a 74-yard quarterback keeper touchdown. Vaughn answered with a 22-yard rushing touchdown before Marquis Brown returned the following kickoff 97 yards to the house for a touchdown. Unphased by this, Vaughn rushed for another touchdown, this one a 70-yarder. This tied the game at 28-28 and brought his total rushing yards to over 150–all within three minutes.

While the aggressive, fast-forward style of play ended here, the scoring did not. Brown connected with Ellis once again for a 13-yard TD. In the last score of the quarter, O’Keefe connected with Sullivan for a 64-yard touchdown, tying the game at 35-35.

Jacoryan Isaac opened the 2nd quarter with the first of his two 1-yard rushing touchdowns for Cedar Ridge. After the Raider defense forced the Dragons to turnover on downs, Brown connected with Ellis for the pair’s third touchdown of the night, this one for 20 yards, giving Cedar Ridge a 49-35 lead. Round Rock cut the Raiders’ lead to 7 when O’Keefe completed a pass to Trevor Waz (11) for a 46-yard touchdown. Brown restored the 14-point lead with a 23-yard touchdown pass to C.J. Ramirez (12) 37 seconds before halftime.

Each team scored just two touchdowns each in the second half. Round Rock struck first when O’Keefe hit Miller for a 99-yard touchdown, bringing the score within 7. Isaac gave the Cedar Ridge a two touchdown lead with his second 1-yard rushing touchdown of the night. O’Keefe hit Miller again in the 4th quarter for a 30-yard touchdown, once again giving the Raiders just a one touchdown lead. However, Vaughn had one more touchdown left in him as he bursted along the right side for his second 70-yard touchdown, bringing the score to 70-56. Just as the Dragons were about to score with four minutes remaining, Gavin Dunn (11) intercepted an O’Keefe pass to seal the deal for the Raiders.

Both teams return to action on Friday, November 2nd. Cedar Ridge takes on the McNeil Mavericks at Kelly Reeves Athletic Complex, while Round Rock battles the Hendrickson Hawks at Dragon Stadium. Both games kick off at 7:00.