The Fall Athletic Signings

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Fall Athletic Signings

The student athletes committing to colleges.

Photo by Thomas Shands

Photo by Thomas Shands

Photo by Thomas Shands

Luke White, Sports Editor

On November 14th, Cedar Ridge celebrated the signings of 17 student-athletes committing to play sports in college. They will represent Cedar Ridge in five sports at twelve different schools. This is the largest amount of student-athletes to sign during the fall in Cedar Ridge school history.

It can be difficult to play sports in high school. However, these students have shown that they have the determination and perseverance to excel at both.

“It can be hard to balance sports and academics sometimes,” Macey Maxim (12) said. “Sometimes I have to miss practice if I have a big project due the next day, but it’s doable.”

Maxim is committed to play soccer at the University of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio.

The recruiting process can often be long and tiresome for student-athletes as they travel across the country for camps and tournaments. During this time, many colleges and coaches become interested in the athletes.

“Every day I was getting calls and texts from colleges,” Darren Acosta (11) said. “There were a lot of eyes on me, but it was honestly the most amazing thing I had going on in my life.”

Acosta is committed to play baseball for New Mexico Junior College.

Each student-athlete had different reasons for picking the college they committed to.

“I picked Incarnate Word because they showed that they wanted me more,” Taryn Wills (12), a basketball commit, said in an interview with KVUE News. “I like the program, and I like the fact that they gave me the right answers when I asked questions. I love the school.”

These students have many things to look forward to as they prepare to play sports at the next level.

“I’m super excited and I’m ready to be a freshman in college and start my life on my own,” Acosta said. “I’m ready to have a new team. Those guys are going to be my brothers.”

“I know a lot of people there, so I’m excited to hang out with friends and play sports,” Maxim said.

At the signing ceremony, the students got the opportunity to sign in front of hundreds of people, including family, friends, and fellow Cedar Ridge students.

“I was so nervous I couldn’t focus, but it was super fun,” Acosta said.

These student-athletes have dedicated countless hours to their sport, and have had many people help them get to where they are today. However, their journey is just getting started, and the future looks bright for them.