The student news site of Cedar Ridge High School

2019 Spring Athletic Signings

February 20, 2019

Back to Article
Back to Article

2019 Spring Athletic Signings

Photo by Thomas Shands

Photo by Thomas Shands

Photo by Thomas Shands

On February 6th, nine Cedar Ridge student-athletes committed to play their sport while in college. These athletes will represent Cedar Ridge in four sports at eight different schools, five of them being in Texas.

These athletes have shown that they have the skill and determination to play sports at the next level. Balancing sports and academics is no easy task, but they have demonstrated their ability to handle both well.

“It can be hard sometimes, but you’ve got to watch what classes you take and make sure you’re staying on top everything,” Ethan Morón (12) said. Morón is committed to Howard Payne University to play football.

The process of getting recruited and receiving scholarship offers from college can be overwhelming and stressful for sometimes. During this time, athletes sometimes feel extra pressure to perform well in order to impress colleges.

“It was very stressful because you think that these colleges don’t want you,” Morón said. “But then at some point [the offers] hit you, and it’s overwhelming.”

Other athletes had different thoughts regarding the recruiting process.

“It wasn’t as bad as everyone makes it out to be,” Kris Laws (12), a Pacific University football commit, said. “The coaches that I was working with were very on top of it, on trying to get me to Pacific. They would contact me personally and check in to see how I was doing. They were starting to build a relationship even though we were thousands of miles away.”

Every student-athlete looks for something different in a college, and they all had different reasons for picking the college they committed to.

“The thing that really sold me was I got to spent time with the players on the team,” Dawayne Brown (12) said in an interview with KVUE News. Brown is committed to the University of the Incarnate Word to play football. “Just seeing the kind of bond that those guys have, you would think that they are an actual family. That’s something I want to be a part of.”

“It’s a Catholic university, and that really interested me because I’m Catholic too, so I thought that would be perfect,” Nadia Gomez (12) said. Gomez is committed to Our Lady of the Lake University in San Antonio to play soccer. “The location is really nice, and the architecture there is very pretty.”

These students have many things to look forward to as they prepare to play sports at the next level.

“It’s going to be a new experience, and I’ll be starting a new life,” Laws said. “There’s a lot of new connections, relationships, and friends to be made. It’s going to be a fun time.”

The student-athletes also got the opportunity to sign in front of many of their family members and friends.

“It’s so special, and it makes me so thankful to see all of the people I love here,” Annika Engstrom (12) said in an interview with KVUE News. “(It’s great) to see how much they support me, and I feel so special today.

These student-athletes have dedicated countless hours to their sport, and have had many people help them get to where they are today. However, their journey is just getting started, and the future looks bright for them.