Raiders secure playoff spot with 77-69 victory over Westwood

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo by Chase Magadia

Photo by Chase Magadia

Photo by Chase Magadia

Luke White, Quill Staff Writer

In a game in which both teams combined for 1,500 yards of offense, Cedar Ridge put on an offensive clinic and clinched a spot in the playoffs after defeating Westwood 77-69 on Nov. 8 at Kelly Reeves Athletic Complex. The must-win matchup for the Raiders featured record-breaking performances and was the 12th-highest scoring game in Texas high school football history.

Just as they’ve done all season, the Raiders’ offense embraced an “all gas, no brakes” mentality, scoring touchdowns on their first nine possessions of the game and never trailing. They were anchored by Kansas State-bound running back Deuce Vaughn (12), who finished with 302 rushing yards and five total touchdowns. Senior quarterbacks Jalen Brown and Jack Turner each had two passing touchdowns, with Brown collecting two rushing touchdowns as well. Devon Turner (11) had two touchdown receptions.

However, the spotlight was cast on Warriors’ quarterback RJ Martinez (11), who had a phenomenal performance of his own. Martinez put on a show with 609 passing yards and seven touchdowns, in addition to 173 rushing yards and three touchdowns. He set a state record for pass attempts with 76, breaking the previous record of 75 held by Johnny Manziel, who went on to win the Heisman Trophy at Texas A&M. Martinez’s 50 completions tied the state record.

Vaughn’s electric first quarter set the tone for Cedar Ridge, as he ran for touchdowns of 47 and 51 yards and had a 50-yard touchdown reception. A touchdown reception by Mark Anthony Walker II (12) and a TD run by Joseph Captain (11) gave the Raiders a 34-20 lead at halftime.

The scoring didn’t stop for Cedar Ridge after the break, as two touchdown receptions by Devon Turner and a 61-yard rushing touchdown by Vaughn gave the Raiders 56-49 lead going into the fourth quarter.

Brown opened the quarter with his two touchdown runs, giving the Raiders a three-touchdown lead at 70-49. However, touchdown passes by Martinez brought the Warriors to within seven. Vaughn capped off the Raiders’ scoring with his final touchdown of the day, which he ran in from 11 yards out. 

The Warriors responded as Martinez connected with Oliver Yu on a touchdown pass that made it a one possession game. Westwood recovered the ensuing onside kick, their third recovery of the game, but a fumble on the next play sealed the deal for Cedar Ridge.

The Raiders look to ride their three-game win streak into the playoffs, where they will face Cypress-Woods on Friday at Cy-Fair FCU Stadium in Cypress.