Royalty and Nobility Score Big at Dance Competition

Hannah Blake, Reporter

The Royalty and Nobility dance teams competed at the “Crowd Pleasers” dance competition on February 22 at Hendrickson High School. Royalty placed 6th place overall out of 43 teams and took home more than 20 award recognitions while Nobility took home three award recognitions from two routines.
Royalty performed 26 routines, 13 solos, one duet and one small ensemble. They worked very hard and practiced for months to be prepared for this competition. Taylor Snoga is a Royalty member and competed in eight dances for the competition. She placed as 7th runner up for her solo.
“We started learning and cleaning most of our dances in November,” Snoga (10) said.
Royalty seniors placed 1st runner up for the ensemble category, which has between 12 and 20 dancers in a group. Jazz company, which consists of some Royalty members who auditioned to do specialized jazz dances got 2nd runner up in the ensemble category. Sophomores and juniors won XLarge ensemble which consists of more than 21 dancers. They also won academic excellence for a collective team GPA of over 3.0.
Nobility competed in one contest and has two routines in the JV category. Grace Barrow, a Nobility dance team member was in the competition.
“The best part of the contest was seeing other teams perform their contest routines,” Barrow (10) said, “We could have definitely worked harder on our jazz dance, and we can always improve in the future.”
Nobility took 1st place in hip hop and 2nd runner up for the lyrical division. However, these two routines did not qualify for other awards.
While this was Nobility’s only contest, Royalty competes in multiple contests. Royalty will use the Crowd Pleasers Dance competition as a learning experience for their next competition.
Royalty’s next competition will be on Saturday, February 29 starting at 8:30 am at Vandegrift High School.